Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rolling Pantry!



I use a combination of baskets and bungee cords to keep my groceries where I want them and to keep them from falling on my heard when I open the doors. I have found the baskets work great to hold canned goods, baggies, spices, and small tuna bags. I love the new easy open cans. The bungee cords keep all of my boxed items where they need to be. With the way Bob set the shelves up it is amazing what all I can carry in this cupboard.





This is a picture of cooking in bed! This truck does not have a table so you do what you have to do. I am able to cook going down the road as I use a recessed sink to contain my rice cooker and my crock pot. The Rocket Grill has cool sides so I do not worry about getting burned. I use a rice cooker for many things. Boil water, stir fry, "bake" ham and potatoes casserole, and to make sauces the limit a rice cooker can be used for is your imagination. I have to admit I have only made rice in the rice cooker a few times. I also use the awesome crock pot liners when I use the crock pot for ease of cleanup.





When I am at home and cook I make enough for left overs and freeze them for the truck. I have found this works well for pasta also. I put the left overs in baggies and then shape them to the size of a book so that my freezer looks a lot like a book case. I have found that the cheap tension rods you can get at Wal-Mart help hold my food in the freezer where I want it. We have also fallen in love with the new Steam Fresh vegetables as they beat canned stuff all to heck. With the size of our refrigerator and freezer we are able to have some awesome meals in the truck.



This is a picture of the Rocket Grill http://www.buyrocketgrill.com/. I compare it to a George Foreman Grill but this stands up and uses parchment paper to catch the fat and grease. Works great for hamburgers, steaks, chicken breasts and grilled cheese sandwiches. I found our grill at Wal-Mart and believe they were made for trucks! The ease of cleanup and the cool sides just make it perfect. With that said of course Wal-Mart quit carrying it and you have to now order the parchment paper on line.

We do not always eat in the truck as sometimes the walls start to close in on us and it is time to get out. Other times I am to tired to cook or I tell Bob it is his turn to cook and out we go! I am still learning new ways to cook in the truck and am always looking for new recipes.

4 comments:

  1. Great job on the pantry Linda. Looks like I need your help organizing my sleeper. I am finally feeling better. Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rocket Grill is AMAZING! I think I'm going to have to buy one. I like the idea of the no clean up. I've used the convection oven once to make steaks, but it was SO not worth the cleanup! Have you ever seen this unit anywhere else other than ordering online? And about how big is it? Email me and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...FYI...I added you to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aren't those baskets so handy??..we use them for keeping all our groceries in order too...i'm gonna have to check into that grill, that looks like a great idea...i'd never seen it before...we don't have a microwave or a freezer..there is no room in this cascadia to put anything like that....we have a couple of the burton ovens and we cook alot in those...the campbell's chunky soups and meals work well, but i've gotten creative with some different rice dishes or meats and veggies....

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Saint Louis, United States
Expediters Team Drivers Husband/Wife