Thursday, March 5, 2009

Nike + iPod

We all face a challenge of getting out and exercising and when driving a truck you can really think of several good reasons not to exercise. One is you are in unfamiliar territory most of the time, truck stops are not often built with sidewalks and even walking beside the road is dangerous, walking in the truck parking lot can really be a challenge, you are tired from driving all night and the list goes on and on....

This year I had set a goal of eating less and exercising more by getting out and walking. So far so good with a little incentive! Several things all happened at once I started reading a very good book called People are Idiots and I can Prove it by Larry Winget that pretty much said any excuse is an excuse and what YOU put in YOUR mouth ends up on YOUR behind! Got my attention. Then our youngest daughter sent me a Nano and the Nike Plus which is just awesome! Talk about incentive! The Nano is calibrated to my walking stride and keeps track of how far I walk, how fast I walk, and also how many calories I am am burning. Then to top it off you can challenge people so that when you hook your Nano up to the computer it records how far you have walked or ran. So you can challenge each other to go so far in a certain amount of time. The people in your challenge can also see when you are slacking as you cannot record miles if you do not walk them! While you are walking you can listen to music you have downloaded to your Nano so the time just flies by.

So far I have lost some weight and my knees feel so much better since I have been exercising them. I have been spending more time learning about nutrition and cooking more meals in the truck so that I can control our portions and how the meal is made. That benefits us in two ways, we eat less and it costs less then eating out. I like both of those reasons.

Bob does get out and walk some with me but he gets a lot more exercise then I do on a day to day bases. He deals with our customers and he also spends a lot of time polishing our truck. The inside in much easier to clean and I sure do not get much exercise while I am working on the computer. Molly does not go for our walks as she just cannot keep up anymore. She gets to go for short strolls, then she gets a treat and takes an hour or so nap!

2 comments:

  1. my hat is off to you on the walking!!...everyday i reaffirm my resolution to walk and eat healthier........i have to reaffirm it every day since i end up slacking off each day and don't keep it.....lol....i agree that it's just an excuse away, but besides the unknown territory we find ourselves in....and the nasty truckstop lots...my other deterrment is that i usually find myself with the time to walk at times and in locations where a shower afterwards isn't available......ugh...see??. it's always one more thing....lol.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep all of my excuses to! Not being able to get a shower is really a problem. This time of year it is cool enough you are ok but come summer? Not so good. It is also a lot harder to walk driving team as the truck is often in a hurry to get somewhere and you just do not stop for over 24 hours. Yep I could write a book on excuses.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Saint Louis, United States
Expediters Team Drivers Husband/Wife