Friday, May 8, 2009

Sleeping on the Outside!

One of the perks about driving team is who get to get up in the middle of the night and who gets to issue orders! Here are a few that get you up at night:



It starts to rain: get up close overhead vent get back in bed

New Question "Did you shut the front windows?" Get up shut the windows

Alarm goes off!!! Bolt up right realize it is cold out and the tires have lost air pressure and the Pressure Pro is reporting low tires so you unplug it. Back to bed now freezing

Knock Knock at the door 3 in the morning! Look out somebody is wanting money or wondering if you want company. Good grief go away you will get neither from me.

Alarm goes off! Bolt up right in bed and the RigMaster did not start for low voltage so you shut alarm off reset Rig Master and wait and watch to see that it starts automatically.

Truck starts rocking due to high wind so you get up and look to see if there is a tornado you see nothing go back to bed all is well.

Loud HORN you get up to see if accident is near you are to far away to see. Nothing to see go back to bed.

Load Opportunity Phone rings and you have a load offer which can mean immediate pickup or first thing in the morning. Have to be coherent enough to know what, when, why and how before you agree to the load. Look at clock to see if you accept the load who gets to drive the first shift..... Money talks on this one

Jelling UP Only time I have ever saw Bob leap out of bed clearing me was when it was about -30 out and the Rig Master started to jel and he knew dang well no way was I going to go outside and fix that one! He threw on his clothes and added 911 anti jel to the RigMaster and it took a bit but started purring away. Of course this whole time I was still snuggled in bed warm and toasty!



After you go through a few of these you either learn to go back to sleep or you just get up! I have often wondered why it is I do not sleep against the wall which is usually cooler in the summer and winter and then I remember why I hear the noises and Bob sleeps through them. I am also the type of person who is immediately awake and so I can understand what load is being offered, do the math and decide to take the load or turn it down.

Is this a big deal not really just more odd things that you take for granted living on the road. Team driving is awesome for both as I can handle the little noises in the truck and what happens around us but when we started to jell that one belonged to Bob. If I had to do it I could but ......

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Saint Louis, United States
Expediters Team Drivers Husband/Wife