Sunday, April 5, 2009

Unexpected Home Time

We unloaded within 300 miles of the house Friday morning and did not get a load so we choice to come home instead of spend the weekend at a truck stop.

I like to plan and that sounds funny in our line of business as we never know what we are going to be doing just about any minute of the day or night! But I have scheduled home times and this was not one of them.

When you get home and know you are not here long how far do you clean the truck out? Do you get everything laundered and back in the truck? Do you scrub the floors and wipe down the truck? or do you just do as much laundry as you have to and enjoy being home?

Well I love mail so my first thing no matter when we come home is to sort the mail, file what needs to be filed, get the permits that always come while we are gone in a pile for the truck, get all magazines in the pile for the truck, and see if we have any correspondence our daughter might have missed that needs a reply or a check. She does a great job at this and it is not often that I have an over due bill. I keep up with all of my bank statements on line so I do not have do any of that at home just file the statements. When I finish that I am back to my decisions and decide to wash everything in the truck including the dog! Molly hates to come home as she gets a bath and has to put up with 3 outdoor cats and our daughters two indoor cats. And she is not the center of our attention while at home. She hates the house and if she gets near the truck she tries to get in.

I then have to decide make something I have in the truck for supper or go to the grocery store? The grocery store almost always wins out as I have a few more options while at home when cooking and today I am going to introduce her to a new recipe I received from a fellow truck driver that I made in the truck and it is awesome. She is a true pasta lover and this is a great sauce.

We will be back on the road tomorrow and my stress will be gone from having this unexpected break!

4 comments:

  1. oh, you poor thing....i feel so bad for you.....lol.....not!!!!....enjoy your time at home, unexpected or not.....and when you get a chance, forward me the recipe....i'm always lookin for a new idea!....take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your neighborhood good for loads out when you're ready to go back in service? I'm not asking you to give away all your trade secrets. I've spent a good part of the winter at my sister's place near O'Fallon, IL, and figure if I come back out in my sprinter, I might be able to use that area as a launch point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey EB I would think O'Fallon IL would be better for you. We are way out on the west side of Saint Louis and so it is hit or miss but not to big of deal. Helps we are not in a truck I think. As a sprinter I would not stay here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Ruth it is rough and we did suffer through it! Actually we worked our behinds off so we need to go back to work to rest up and you know how that is.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Saint Louis, United States
Expediters Team Drivers Husband/Wife