Saturday, April 11, 2009

City Lights

Luckiest person ever has to be me!

Since I start driving between 2 and 3 in the morning I am able to see the downtown lights of many cities and not much traffic. There are so many awesome downtown lights in the United States that I cannot imagine seeing this will ever get old. I cannot even think of a favorite but there are some I really enjoy. If you have read The Fountain Head by Aynn Rand (fictional) I believe her lead character Rourk built a building in downtown San Antonio. One of the fun things about just driving through these cities is you get to make up what the building is used for and if you want who built them. In downtown Nashville you have the Bat Building where I believe Batman lives and the best way to see this building is to be coming from the north on I65 going south. Now in Memphis you have a triangle building that I believe is a civic center. Very cool looking building. In Charlotte you have a very tall building with lots of white lights and I have not decided what that building is used for. Some of these downtown light you get to drive through. Columbus OH is one and so in Buffalo NY boy am I always glad there is not much traffic so I can be a looky lou and crane my neck to see all of this. It is also fun to drive though is Kansas City as you get to go under some of the walk ways but the road is so twisty turny I do not get to see much as I have to drive slow and easy so as not to wake Bob up by screeching around the corners!

I should really enjoy seeing Manhattan NY as you can see the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building but I just associate that area with to much tension and to much traffic and while driving I cannot enjoy any of it.

If it is snowing and early in the morning another city that can just about give you goosebumps with the lights is downtown Chicago! Wow do they have some buildings. I know part of why I like that city is that we had so much fun with Brandy when we would go see her and wander around the downtown area.

We all know that the number one city for lights is Las Vegas and I enjoy seeing the lights as you come into the valley since as you get close to the hotels it is overwhelming and just not as stately as some of the other cities I am able to see first thing in the morning.

Now you should see how goofy I get at Christmas time and some of the lights we get to see...

Well we are lucky and lucky to see some of the amazing sites we get to see.

8 comments:

  1. You are so right in the sights that we get to see. There is no way that we can convey this to non-drivers and our pictures just do not capture the amazing effects. Thank you for sharing, sometimes it just becomes a JOB and we forget the beauty of our lifestyle on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Brad the idea of staring at the same 4 walls everyday just pains me! I love our windshield and our every changing view. It is fun to talk to other drivers about ALL of the Unites States and even many parts of Canada as each of you being able to see in your mind what the other is talking about. How lucky are we few to get to see all that we see and enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good one is Portland, southbound on the interstate riding a motorcycle. Not just a straight line and the southbound side is the lower level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about the sights at night! I am also a night driver most of the time and city lights have always been a favorite of mine.

    I just went through Chicago this week at night - which is nice, since usually there is so much traffic. Most of the buildings have "2016" displayed in lights on the side of them, trying to woo the Olympic games there in 2016.

    I love taking the Woodrow Wilson bridge in Virginia (near Alexandria) at night because if you look to the north as you're crossing the Potomac, you can the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument. On the other side of the bridge is National Harbor (www.nationalharbor.com) which is GORGEOUS at night with it's marina and shopping area lights.

    Another favorite of mine is St. Louis - I love coming into the city and seeing the Gateway Arch. It's so much easier at night, without the traffic, to go slow and get a real good look at it.

    And my favorite part of the country to cross at night? Almost ALL of the southwest - especially I-10 through California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas because there is NOT A THING to look at. I truly hate driving that during the day - not pleasing to my eyes at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well i need to get my 2¢ in here too....let's not forget running east on 10 and topping the hill before you drop down into las cruces, nm.....or portland, or with all the lights reflecting off the river as you go thru town.....and while i'm up north, how about coming into seattle and jumping across mercer island.....the lady on the mountain in butte, mt.....vegas....the manhattan skyline....miami's gold coast....gosh, the list is endless....wes,we are the most fortunate people......

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to wish you and Bob a Happy Easter and to have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, thanks for the comment on my last post.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Saint Louis, United States
Expediters Team Drivers Husband/Wife