Sunday, October 17, 2010

Vocal Communication



In the ten years, we have been on the road I have never been a proponent of the citizens band radio (CB).  When we first came out on the road as newbie’s we thought we had to have the CB on to be “real” truck drivers.

I like noise I can control and the CB all the sudden coming to life and someone telling me they have their panties on or that there is a bear at mile marker so and so was more then I could bear.   When we started, the CB volume was set to low, but when we would get close to a town, I was amazed at how the CB came to life.   We were requested to stop in at such and such a truck stop to get our CB worked on.   I thought wow if I can hear you on my CB it must have been working.   While near El Paso, the CB would go crazy with voices advertising day trips to Juarez, Mexico for any sinful delight your imagination could think of.   There were also the constant belittling of other drivers, from women, drivers with an accent or someone asking for a bear report.   Finally, enough was enough and the CB was turned off for good.
Our next entertainment was XM radio and that was a miracle!   We could finally listen to the radio from coast to coast without channels fading in and out as we approached or left cities.   The amazement of that new invention lasted for several years.   We listened to talk shows to improve our trucking business and received a very thorough education.   When driving late at night we are able to listen to broadband of music to suit both of our tastes.   How in the world did we ever drive without XM?
The next amazing gadget to come along was the cell phone that was not in a bag!    We could not talk to family and friends at our leisure and this was a new miracle.   As soon as unlimited nationwide talking came available, we signed up and a completely new world available to us.   No more grabbing the CB mic or changing channels on the XM, push a button on your head set and you were talking to a live person.   What I enjoy about talking on the phone while I am driving is that I can keep my eye on the road not on a passenger.   I do not have to turn my head to talk to a passenger or push a button on the CB to talk.   Both hands are on the wheel and eyes are forward.
Using our phone, I have listened in on many conference calls about our industry that in turn improves our business practices.   I have been able to ask many questions of drivers who have been out here much longer than us on how to handle different situations.   I have a friend who has been driving for over 25 years who has offered many tips on how to handle deer jumping out of the woods at you, why a T/T passing you sways into my lane, how to handle objects in the road, adjust my mirrors for maximum visibility.   Over time, this knowledge has improved my confidence on how I handle unexpected situations that happen on the road.
Through the phone and my network of friends, I have gained and shared knowledge on what gate to use to get on military installations. How to traverse a city while carrying a load of explosives and avoid non-hazmat roads. The proper procedure when an office of the law wants to cut a government seal, and how to handle the many rules and regulations that hit us on a daily bases.  
I have found that the cell phone and a network of friends who drive as goofy of hours as I do help to keep me focused on the road and also keep a positive mind set.   I have found if I get down or out of sorts my friends immediately put a stop to my “victim” thinking and get me back on track.  
We have also found that we stay in touch with family better than we ever have while out on the road.   We used to rely on emails to keep in touch, which was cumbersome for some of our family members who were mistrustful of computers.   Our hours are such that a family member can call us any time of day or night and visit.   Without our cell phones, it would feel as if we were moving back into an abyss of limited communication.

Bob & Linda Caffee
Leased to: FedEx Custom Critical
Saint Louis MO
Expediters 5 years been out here on the road ten years
boblindacaffee@gmail.com
 
Expediting isn't just trucking, it's a lifestyle;
Expediting isn't just a lifestyle, it's an adventure;
Expediting isn't just an adventure, it's a job;
Expediting isn't just a job, it's a business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Saint Louis, United States
Expediters Team Drivers Husband/Wife